Peacing it Together!®: The Mosaic Project’s Musical Curriculum & Accompanying Activities
“Finally, the music and curriculum for the amazingly powerful Mosaic programs are available. Well-laid out and accessible, the book conveys the fun and spirited diversity, human rights, and conflict resolution lessons of The Mosaic Project’s Outdoor School and In-School Project in an easy-to-apply format. This work changes the lives of young people and their home and school communities. Pick it up and use it—you and your young people will soon be singing along and “peacing it together!”
– Paul Kivel, educator, activist and author of I Can Make My World a Safer Place and Helping Teens Stop Violence, Build Community and Stand for Justice
Peacing it Together!®: The Mosaic Project’s Musical Curriculum & Accompanying Activities is made possible by the support of the JAMS Foundation and Philanthropic Ventures Foundation.
This curriculum guide includes our music CD, sheet music, and accompanying experiential activities. It teaches students (K-6) vital conflict resolution, social justice, community-building, diversity, and peacemaking skills, and supports them in developing the social and emotional competencies that are key to their success in the classroom and beyond.
If you work with teens, you might be interested in Paul Kivel’s Helping Teens Stop Violence, Build Community and Stand for Justice.
– From Peacing it Together!®’s Foreword by Brett Dennen, Singer/Songwriter and Co-creator of the Mosaic Musical Curriculum
- Music and lyrics for each of The Mosaic Project’s 11 songs
- The Mosaic Project’s CD
- 18 lessons designed to accompany The Mosaic Musical Curriculum on themes including:
- The Mosaic Values (Mutual Respect, Open-mindedness, Self Respect, Attitude, Individuality and Community)
- Conflict Resolution
- Emotional Literacy
- Experiential activities that include music, art, games, role plays, cooperative challenges, and extended group projects
- Creative ideas for integrating Mosaic music into a wide range of classroom learning and pedagogy
- Mosaic Class Meetings overview and suggested framework
- Suggested Children’s Literature to accompany each song and theme
- Correlations to the Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning (McREL) Standards
- Children’s Glossary of social justice and conflict resolution terms
Extensive research shows that music facilitates learning and recall of information. With the Mosaic songs, children learn lessons in a fun and engaging manner that is reinforced every time they sing, whether in the classroom, on their way home from school, or after they brush their teeth.
Posters are a great accompaniment to our Curriculum Guide.
Praise for Peacing it Together!®: The Mosaic Project’s Musical Curriculum & Accompanying Activities
– Cindee McMahon, Classroom Teacher; Mosaic Participant
– Laurie Frank, Author, Journey Toward the Caring Classroom
– Lydia, Mosaic Student, Age 11
– Natalee Bauer, 4th Grade Teacher, Mosaic Particpant
– Lesley Bell, 5th Grade Teacher
– Carlos, Mosaic Student, Age 9
“Thanks to The Mosaic Project, youth educators who are passionate about social justice now have access to step-by-step instruction to help them infuse their work with children with their deepest values. This excellent curriculum offers fun, concrete activities to teach children to empathize, resolve conflicts, celebrate differences, and discover their inherent value and the value of others. This curriculum should be required reading for every teacher, parent, and youth group leader!”
– Pippi Kessler, Director of Rowe Young People’s Camp