Unique opportunity to work with 9–11 year olds towards social change
Participate in our Youth Leadership Project & serve as a Cabin Leader in our Outdoor School.
“This was a transforming experience for me as well as for the kids. I’d been feeling really hopeless about the state of the world and my power to change things. You helped give me hope and optimism and the reminder that even helping one person can make a huge impact on the world. Thank you!” – Kimberly, Mosaic Youth Leader
The Mosaic Project, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, works toward a peaceful future by uniting children of diverse backgrounds, addressing issues of difference, and building self-esteem and community in our unique outdoor school. While typical outdoor schools focus on environmental science, ours focuses on addressing issues of difference and on building self-esteem and community.
“Mosaic has helped me to respect myself and helped me to learn to take the risk of being a leader.” – Chris, Mosaic Youth Leader
The Mosaic Project offers exceptional leadership training through our Youth Leadership Project for youth ages 15–23 who serve as mentors and cabin leaders for 4th and 5th graders. The Project’s curriculum focuses on the celebration of diversity, awareness of stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination, respect for and appreciation of self and others, teamwork and cooperation, communication and nonviolent conflict resolution, as well as leadership and mentorship skills.
We are looking for dynamic, creative, experienced youth leaders who are passionate about our vision.
- Youth leaders will attend a weekend training retreat in Napa in either March, April or August.
- Youth leaders will also participate as cabin leaders in at least one 4-night/5-day session of our residential program in Napa in May, June, September, or October.
- Facilitate games/activities that encourage students to appreciate and respect themselves and others.
- Provide a nurturing, safe, and fun learning environment for our students.
- Share your unique experiences, talents, and skills with our community.
- Learn leadership skills and put them to use with younger students.
- Keep up with academic studies during daily study hall while at the outdoor school.
- At least 15 years old and a sophomore in high school.
- Interest in learning leadership skills.
- Interest/experience in working with children, especially ages 9–11.
- Interest/experience in human-relations/diversity/cross-cultural education.
- Interest/experience in music, theater, and arts & crafts.
- Certifications in CPR, first aid, and lifeguarding are a plus.
- Stamina to work long, but rewarding hours.
- Ability and desire to live and work in a tight-knit, diverse community.
- Passion for youth development, social justice, and creating peace!
Please fill out our online application. For more information, please contact us at gro.t1398235189cejor1398235189pcias1398235189om@ve1398235189jnas1398235189 or 510–452-3377.
Read a Youth Leader’s blog about her Mosaic experience.
Students Who Came Back as Youth Leaders, at 2008 Fundraiser
Outdoor School Internship
The Mosaic Outdoor School Internship is an excellent opportunity for students over 18 years old who have served and excelled as a Cabin Leader at least twice, and who are able to make a commitment for the full duration (5 weeks) of the Outdoor School season. Due to limited spaces, it is a highly competitive program.
To apply, please:
- Complete the Youth Leadership Project Application.
- Submit an essay via email to our Youth Leadership Project Director, Sanjev deSilva at gro.t1398235189cejor1398235189pcias1398235189om@ve1398235189jnas1398235189 detailing why you want to be an intern, what you feel you can contribute as an intern, and what you hope to gain from the experience.
We look forward to hearing from you!